Monday, January 30, 2012

Home Sweet Home

There’s nothing like spending 3 nights and 4 days in a hospital that make you appreciate the comforts of home…..like not being woken up all night by strange nurses for vital signs, and having your very own blankets, towels, homemade food, and family all at your side. Having my sister and niece here has been an extra special treat – they even took Stella to the Dallas Aquarium yesterday – she definitely needed the outing and they had so much fun too! I'm not sure what I would have done without them here. I got to rest and nap so much that I almost felt normal again. Well, til the pain meds wore off – good thing they sent me home with plenty of those.

We are learning how to empty my drains (I feel like Angelina Jolie with vials of blood around my neck) and change my bandages every day. I’m hoping I will get the drains out at the plastic surgeon when I go to my follow-up appointment this Friday – fingers crossed! I am a little less sore every day, although this is definitely the most pain I've ever been in since childbirth. And not nearly as fun. But as I've always said, one step at a time I'm knocking this out, and I'll do whatever I've got to do to fight through this - and it seems to be working!!!
Stella has been enjoying her time with Uncle Ryan, and definitely with Da-eee back home again. Things are slowly getting back to normal. I have to say, I have never felt so loved in my life – just this week, the wedge pillows (thanks Tracey B!), the flowers (thanks Dad/Nancy, Kym/Nelly/Meredith, my MOPS group, Roger/Marc/Junie, Jennifer/John/Pat, and Tiffany!), dinners (thanks Kelsey and Annie!), breakfasts (thanks Mary!), sweets (thanks Becky and Vanessa!), super thoughtful gifts (thanks Ting! and Wednesday playgroup!), help with Stella (thanks everyone!!), and friends who are STILL keeping Chopper (thanks Ben & Kim!) have been amazing. They have cheered me up so much. I know I'm forgetting some people but I am absolutely overwhelmed with all the support. I can’t wait to pay it forward when I am all recovered and can help others who go through difficult times like I have. And Ben and my Mom - no one has helped me out like you have - I will be eternally grateful for all you've done throughout this process. Love you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you, Allison. What a wonderful update. You're a real trooper with the most positive attitude I've ever seen! It's contagious!! Sending lots of hugs & smiles from our family to yours. xx, Catherine Landrum Heitmeyer

Sam Burgess said...

Hi Allison! Deb and I absolutely love the over coming attitude. I guess you get it honestly though. We were with your mom and brother last night in FT Worth and the spirit has to come from them, what a powerful family. I hope you don't mind if we link your blog to our blog, we have several friends and business associates that need to hear your message. God Bless you and you have a powerful testimony.

Alli Parkey said...

Thank you both - that means so much to me! Sam please feel free to share away - I just replied to your e-mail, but if I can help even one person catch this awful disease early, it will be worth it. Or who knows, I could help save someone's life? This is a very scary disease but there is so much we can do to prevent it from getting to the untreatable stage! xoxo Alli

Erin Rettig said...

OH my goodness. I've just read from start to finish and I am inspired. I, too, and BRCA2 and also am planning a double mastectomy (preventative) and your story just solidified my decision 100%. Thank you so much for sharing. I now know what I have to do so that I can avoid being in your situation, as well. I am 31 and have two small children. If you ever need to chat, I'd be happy to chat with you. My mom begins her first round of chemo in a week and your stories are very similar (except she had to have both lymph node sides removed). Good luck and I look forward to continued reading!!

Erin (blissem@hotmail.com)

Alli Parkey said...

Hi Erin - that makes me feel so good that I've helped you solidify your decision. You have two beautiful children to live a long time for - no better reason than that to do a preventative double mastectomy if you have the gene too. You are a smart cookie!! I wish I had thought earlier to get the gene test - I would definitely do the same thing. I think chemo is harder than the actual surgery was - the fatigue, nausea, hair loss, etc - and not knowing if we are really killing any stray cancer cells in my body - is so hard. Worth it - but hard! Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions about the surgery, I'm happy to answer. Best of luck to you!!