Friday, January 20, 2012

Good news!

Today we got good news! Dr. B. called me and said that of my 4 lymph nodes they biopsied, they ALL came back negative. That means the cancer has not spread! And I don’t have to get bumped to stage 2! And they won’t have to take any more lymph nodes next week during my mastectomy! And I won’t have to get radiation! I am the happiest cancer patient (make that STAGE 1 cancer patient!) you have ever seen right now. :) I am actually looking FORWARD to my big surgery on Wednesday so I can continue the fight and get the rest of these bad cells out of me.

I’m including an illustration so you can see what this means. I know some of you are learning about all of this right along with me, so I thought this would help. Dr. B. took the sentinel (which means “first”) lymph node that was closest to my tumor, along with the 3 others closest to it. There is a whole network of lymph nodes in the breast/armpit area, but the ones he was concerned with were the ones closest to the tumor, because that’s where the cancer cells would have traveled to first, before spreading to other parts of the body. Since they came back clear, that means the ones farther away are clear too, so he doesn’t have to test those. However, I will still need to get chemo, because if one stray cancer cell escaped, it could have traveled through my blood stream, right through the lymph nodes, and ended up somewhere else. So the drugs I receive through chemo will attempt to knock out any stragglers so they won’t come back and haunt me later. But other than any random stray cells, the cancer has not metastasized to the lymph nodes or anywhere else.
My brother told me today that his friend has just scheduled her first mammogram because of my blog. It literally makes me tear up right now to think that someone could avoid all of this, I am SO happy. I know my sister has already scheduled hers too. THANK you all for listening to me. And a friend just told me she made her first donation to Susan G. Komen – you all are amazing! I wish I had acted sooner – I have known for a long time that I had a family history of breast cancer as well as other types of cancer, but I didn’t do anything about it. I wish I had gotten the gene test sooner, so I could have been followed more carefully by doctors. And I wish I had gotten mammograms sooner. But it looks like some good is going to come out of this. And hopefully when you all get your mammograms, you will get GOOD news too!  

5 comments:

Kathy Pipkin said...

Ali, So happy that you caught this early! Just wanted to pass on the name of a doctor in Austin that has helped my sister-in-law and many others with supplements to keep your body healthy while taking the chemo. He's amazing! A niece also went to him with a devastating blood disease that had her on terrible drugs. He got her off all her medication with a specific portico, and she's doing incredibly well now. Here's his name and web site if you have any interest. It can take up to 3 months to see him. Dr. Glen Luepnitz - www.n4hresearch.com. Good luck! Kathy Pipkin

eek said...

Hi Allison

EE here. So glad to hear you are doing better. Thanks for sharing your story and spreading awareness about this horrible C. I still can't believe it's you.

All my love and prayers
oxox

Alli Parkey said...

Thank you Kathy! I appreciate it. And EE, I'm still in disbelief too. Thank you for your support!!! xoxo Alli

Lindsay Pope said...

Hip hip hooray!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alli,
I know you don't know me but we know alot of the same people and I have been praying for you and following your blog. I am so happy to hear the good news. I will continue to pray for you and your family. Your little girl is adorable. Stay strong and know you are covered in prayer!
~Susie Purselley Thompson