Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hair Now, Gone Tomorrow

You know that feeling you get when your ponytail’s too tight? And it’s been pulled too tight all day long, for about three days straight? That’s what it feels like right before your hair falls out. For the past few days, I’ve nearly filled up the entire bathroom trashcan every day with clumps of my hair. So, Ben stepped in just when I needed him and added hair stylist to his resume – on Sunday, he cut 6 inches off my hair! But honestly I only have a day or two left, even with this short haircut, before I become scarf/wig girl. It’s getting pretty thin. I really think the process of losing my hair strand by strand is much worse than it being already gone, so I just made an appointment for this Thursday to get my hair cut at the salon where we got my wig. They might be able to do a pixie cut if there’s any left - we'll see! And they will also fit my wig exactly to my head. Then I will officially be scarf/wig girl. But if I see you before then, ask my to do my party trick and I’ll pull my hair out for you!

Other than that, I’ve been recovering from Thursday’s chemo. It hit me on Saturday HARD. I was in bed, blinds closed, in my cave until nearly 5:00. It was different this time – instead of nausea and fatigue, it was a splitting headache, bone pains, body aches (like you have the flu, but times ten), nausea, and fatigue. But by Sunday I was moving around, and Monday feeling even better. It comes and goes in waves. Yesterday it was fun to have Stella’s cousin Ella come over for a playdate, with my aunt and my mom. You can see in the picture how much fun they were having, putting gummy bunnies on the window while I read a card from my aunt. (You can also see how short my hair is now! There is much less today though, since I took another shower – apparently the worst thing you can do when you are losing your hair.) And thank you Sarah, Lindsey, and Trammell for helping me feel normal last night! I’m looking forward to the next nine days of feeling even better, before I go back for more chemo fun, a week from Thursday. Trying to get some work done and rest when I can. As long as Stella and Ben still recognize (and love) me through all this, I’ll be ok – and I couldn’t ask for two more supportive people in the whole world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We think of you all the time, Allison and we so wish you did not have to endure this. Chemo sucks, cancer sucks, but they are no match for you. Hang in there and I hope you start to feel a little better soon.
Julie

Anonymous said...

You will still beautiful bald!!! We love you and think about you daily. Hang in there sister...whether it feels like it or not, you are on your way to recovery! XOXO

Angele

Anonymous said...

You don't know me Alli, as I am a friend of your neighbor who shared your site with me so I could pray for you. My heart goes out to you and I want to thank you for helping so many people by opening up our eyes to what it's really like. I've lost 2 friends because they were way past Stage 1 when they were diagnosed. I just know God will bless you with a full recovery and so many, many more people will get their mammograms instead of putting it off. God Bless you and your family. BTW hair doesn't make a person beautiful, it's what's inside that counts and God made you very beautiful!

Kathy

Alli Parkey said...

Thank you so much Julie and Angele!! Kathy, thank you so much for sharing, and for the nice words - I appreciate you all!
xoxo
Alli

Laura Murphy said...

Allison - I was thinking and praying for you as I was on a walk yesterday...I am so sorry you are going through this, but you are so positive and determined...I want you to beat this crappy cancer! You are in my prayers my friend! Sending lots of good thoughts your way!!! xo~Laura Murphy

Alli Parkey said...

Thank you so much Laura - I appreciate the thoughts & prayers!! Hope you and your beautiful family are doing well.
xoxo
Alli