Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Cure

I cannot wait until there is a cure for breast cancer. I hope that in Stella’s lifetime, we will all be able to look back on this time the same way we look back on the days when the flu did not have a cure. If you get the flu now, no one thinks twice about it – you are just out for a few days, then you get well. My wish is that someday, when women get diagnosed with breast cancer, they will be able to go through the treatment – hopefully much easier than the surgery/chemo/radiation options now – then go back to their lives, without worrying about it coming back. Until then, I will do everything I can to support research and funding to get us there! I am so grateful to my wonderful friends who have just organized a team for the Susan G Komen race in Fort Worth. It’s coming up on April 14 and they have formed an official "Team Alli." I have never felt so honored. It’s already made me cry – I just hope I can keep it together on race day! If you want to join – anyone is welcome – just click here. An extra special thanks to Meredith, Anna, and Tiffany for going the extra mile putting this together, and to everyone who has already signed up. I can’t wait to see the shirt design! If you sign up on our team and would like a shirt, let me know and we’ll get one ordered for you.

Chemo update: I’ve been recovering from round 3, which was a little better than the first two. Maybe it’s because I knew what to expect, I’m not sure. It was nice having Ben take me again – I don’t know what I’d do without him! The side effects are definitely adding up – chemo wreaks havoc on the entire digestive system, but I’m doing my best to live life to the fullest between treatments. I got down to 99 pounds yesterday. Thank you to Ben for taking me for a big meal at Benihana! It’s weird to purposely order food with more calories (fried rice instead of steamed, etc) – but I am trying! I'm glad I only have one more round of chemo that includes the red devil. Then I will go for 12 weekly treatments of Taxol, which supposedly has different side effects, but may be a little easier to handle. I guess we'll see!
I got an e-mail today from my brother saying that because of my blog, a friend of his (L) and her friend (C) both went for mammograms. L’s came back clean, but her friend C’s did not. I want her to know my thoughts and prayers are going out to her right now – I am so sorry to hear of the diagnosis, but hopeful, because they caught it early, when she may not have gone in otherwise because of how young she is. And that is exactly why I am sharing my story, even when it’s difficult. My hope is that each of us who goes through this journey can touch a life and possibly save someone, until we find the cure.

7 comments:

Kristi Froehlich said...

Keep hanging tough girlfriend! And even though you may not hear from me often, please know that I do think of you all the time. Much love to you, Ben, Stella and the pooches!
Kristi

Erin Rettig said...

You are amazing!! I hope my mom is able to read and be inspired as she is having a rough time with chemo right now. Thanks for the update. I have the same hope for my sweet girl that you have for Stella.

Alli Parkey said...

Thank you so much Kristi!!
Erin, I hope your mom's chemo experience gets better - it's definitely not fun but I try to remember it's only temporary and we'll get through this! She's welcome to e-mail me if she wants!
xoxo
Alli

Anonymous said...

I finished reading the short book I mentioned to you about the lady who wrote about her experience with breast cancer. I have to tell you Alli your sharing testimony is above and beyond more powerful. I hope many people get the opportunity to read what you've already shared with us and your continuing story until that glorious day when you are finished with all the chemo, have your own beautiful hair back and your weight and can shout from the highest mountain that you are a survivor and a great grandma. That's how long I hope you keep sharing with us. Now I know some of us won't be around when you are a great grandma but that's what I hope for you!

God Bless,
Kathy

Alli Parkey said...

Thank you so much Kathy. That is a wonderful goal - to be a great grandmother! :) Love it! I'm so glad my blog has reached out to people. It has definitely helped me get through this process too. Looking forward to the light at the end of this tunnel!

xoxo
Alli

Tracy Larson said...

I'm sure everyone's experience is different, but my mom found Taxol MUCH easier to handle. She actually worked full-time the whole time she was on it! I will be praying you have as few side effects from it as she did!

Alli Parkey said...

So glad to hear that, Tracy, thank you!

xoxo
Alli