Thursday, February 16, 2012

1 Down, 15 To Go!

Today was my very first chemo treatment (out of 16 total). I had no idea what to expect - which was the worst part for me, being a planner and someone who likes to know what's coming next. But the doctor and all the nurses were so incredibly nice and helpful, and explained everything as we went. Hopefully none of you ever have to go through this, but maybe you are just curious or being a super wonderful friend/family member and checking on me. So here’s the scoop! 
My rock (that's Ben of course!) helped me get Peanut ready this morning, then we dropped her off at Mother’s Day Out at 9:30 – she goes to Wilshire Baptist Church and her 3 teachers (Ms Rosemary, Ms Elizabeth, and Ms Anahi)  are so amazing. They know what we are going through and take such good care of our baby girl there. They sent extra prayers our way today – and thank you to everyone else for the texts and e-mails this morning too – they mean the world to us.

So about 30 minutes before my treatment, I put my numbing cream on my port. The port was surgically implanted under the skin in my chest a few weeks ago, and is a permanent place to connect an IV – they hook up my IV line to it each time for chemo. We arrived at 10:00 at Presby – the whole 7th floor of one of the professional buildings next to the hospital is Texas Oncology. I had blood drawn to make sure my levels were good to get started, then we met with Dr. M. first – she answered all our questions about what to expect today, and then her nurse accessed my port with a Huber needle. Basically that means she put a hook-shaped needle through my skin and into the port, which will take the medicine straight to the veins by my heart, to be distributed around my body.

Then we went to the infusion room – which is a big room full of lounge chairs for the patients, and uncomfy chairs for the visitors. (Sorry Ben! Husband of the year!) Let’s just say I was definitely the youngest patient by far – as in, it seemed like everyone around me was in a wheelchair. Our favorite nurse, Nikki, came by to say hi – she taught our chemo class (private class with just Ben, my mom, and me) and is so sweet. She is married and expecting her first, so it is fun to talk about things other than cancer/chemo with her too – I’m so happy for her!
The nurse started saline in my IV to flush it out, followed by two different anti-nausea meds that will help me through the next 3-5 days (the worst days for nausea, apparently) and I also have 3 different prescription pills already filled that I can take in the following weeks when this wears off. Then they put a steroid (decadron) into my IV, which helps counteract the other side effects. After all these pre-meds had gone in, the real chemo meds started. First she put Cytoxan in. This whole process is a little anti-climactic because I felt just fine during the actual chemo – it’s not until later that the side effects will hit me. It dripped through the IV, while Ben and I munched on some snacks, chatted with each other, worked on our laptops, and played on our iPhones.

Then the nurse pushed the second chemo drug, Adriamycin, in (the red devil!) through a syringe, into the port. She said they like to tell patients it’s the “red badge of courage” – but I still like to call it the red devil because it’s going in my body to destroy whatever cancer cells might be lurking and it should have a mean name – ha! So as of now, so far, so good! The side effects won’t kick in until the next few days. Lastly, they flushed my port with saline and then heparin, which keeps a clot from forming in the catheter of my port. At the end of about 4 hours, we were free to go – and pick up Stella – yay! The future treatments shouldn't take quite as long, but again – whatever it takes to knock this thing out is what we're up for!
 
My friend Marlo forwarded me an e-mail today from Anthropologie – apparently scarves are going to be in this year – sweet! Thank you Marlo for that e-mail. Anthropologie is featuring them in their ads, and although normally I’m not a scarf girl, I guess in a couple weeks, I'm about to be! So thanks for that scoop – and to the fashion world for making them a little trendier this year. Anyone who wants to join me – feel free! ;)







The cutest older man came around to all the patients today and gave each of us roses. He said God works miracles here at Presby, and gave me a rose. I feel like I’m on the Bachelor! I said I will definitely accept this rose – thank you so much. He has been a patient here for a while and is getting better every day. He thinks everyone is so nice and gave not only the patients but the nurses roses too. Just such a nice touch to have positive people around!
The countdown now begins – only 15 more treatments to go! And I promise I will not update this blog every time. Just giving y'all the lowdown on the process and how the first day went. I will be doing this same treatment every 2 weeks for four treatments. Then I start my weekly treatments of Taxol (a third chemo drug). But we’ll get to that later. Hope everyone is having a great week!

5 comments:

Dorian Romero said...

Hi Alli,
I am so glad you updated us on your first treatment! Sounds like things are good so far and I will continue to pray for you. Thank you for sharing all this information with us. Keep us posted and let us know if there is ever anything we can do!

Dorian and Stephen

Anonymous said...

Did not know. Glad you caught it and first day of treatment went well. Best wishes to you and family. Hopefully you won't have to deal with too many side effects and if they do happen, God will give you the strength and attitude of that cute man giving out roses! Paige P

Alli Parkey said...

Thank you both so much - I appreciate it the thoughts & prayers! So far, so good - the effects are cumulative so I'm enjoying feeling relatively normal so far! :) Alli

The Pink 1 said...

As much as it gives me chills to see that God forsaken red devil it really is a miraculous drug! Take EVERYTHING one day at a time...this well known statement has never been more applicable regarding something like this! You have such a great outlook but remember to let yourself have a mind snap if it's needed! It's all important AND normal. I can totally relate with the "planner" part of you. That is me. I know that I will drive myself crazy leading up to my mastectomy simply because I don't know what to expect :-/. Oh well, "one day at a time right"? Good luck to you :)

Alli Parkey said...

To The Pink 1 - I just read your entire blog - you are SO smart to be doing this. And I'm so proud of you for telling your son, I know that was hard. Your daughter is very fortunate that she won't remember this (like my 1 year old daughter won't either). I am also a worrier/planner and sometimes (like now) it is a huge advantage! Anyway just wanted to say I'm 100% behind you and if you have ANY questions about the surgery itself, please feel free to e-mail me: allison.parkey@yahoo.com - I will answer anything. The fear of the unknown is the worst but you will get through this with flying colors, and thank God you caught the gene before cancer caught you again (like happened to me). Best of luck!! xoxo Alli